Disclaimer: this post has nothing to do with knitting.
300g flour - wholemeal or plain white
1.5 Tbsp ice water
1 pinch of salt for savoury dishes
1.5 Tbsps sugar for sweets
The secret to successful pastry is keeping it cold throughout the making process.
Chill all utensils and ingredients before use.
Dice the butter and put it in the freezer for half an hour.
- Combine the flour and salt or sugar.
- Cut the butter into the mix using two knives, a pastry cutter or a food processor.
- Be sure not to overwork the dough!
- It's ready when it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the ice water and pull it together into a solid mass, work/handle it as little as possible.
- Chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before use.
Bake at 200 degrees Celsius for 15-25 minutes or according to recipe.